Thursday, January 7, 2010

Fun in Florida

Last post I mentioned our historic driving trip to Florida during the Christmas Holiday. It was historic because my husband does not enjoy driving long distances. He's an airplane kind of man. He knows the ins and the outs of the airport, where to park for which gate, which line to get in. The man can zip thru an airport in no time to get to his plane in just the nick of time. Stick him in a car for a 2100 mile trip with me and my bladder and two kids. Not his idea of a holiday. But we made it. I looked back at Leah riding in the car and laughed. She looked like a hostage. She felt like one too. The child takes after her daddy.







But once we made to Florida there was lots of fun to be had at both grandparent's houses. We even learned about a game called Ladderball from Uncle Dave. Some call it Hillbilly Golf. It's a big hit in the RV Parks from what I understand. Shuffleboard is so old school. Ladderball rules now. We went straight to Wallyworld and bought our own.


Paige, Leah and cousin Mickey at my parents.






Paige brought along a gingerbread tree decorating kit. So the cousins got busy putting it together. It made a nice centerpiece while we were there.





You should have heard the singing. Mr. Scotty has a karaoke machine.






We had a wonderful Christmas with our family.
There are so many pictures I could download.

The other highlight of the trip was meeting up with one of my favorite bloggers Tracy P. Tracy lives in Minnesota and I live in Texas, but we managed to meet at a park in central Florida. Can you believe it. She and her family were there visiting her dad.

We decided to get the families together and the best place would be a park. Thanks to Google one was located. The kids and the husbands could keep busy while we chatted.

Here are Paige, Leah & Mickey playing at the park. It was great place to meet.





The wind really picked up and the kids and husbands had played basketball and were thirsty so we moved the party to a local restaurant. It was nice to just sit across the table from Tracy and hear her voice and get to know her better. Tracy and I both pray with Moms in Touch groups. There was so much I wanted to talk about, but didn't want to bore the husbands with an all blogging and MITI conversation. She is as wonderful in person as she is on her blog.

Here we are: Windblown but happy to get together:

Here are the kiddos: Tracy's two and my two plus my nephew. The kids had their own table at the restaurant. (Learned that trick a few years ago. ha)



It was a long trip, but totally worth it in my book. I even got a smile out of Buster.




21 comments:

Deb said...

my son has one of those hillbilly golf games...I like washers better...looks like a good time was had by all...so fun you got to meet a blogging buddy in another state...

Sandra said...

It was so much fun to read about your trip and see the pictures and learn about a new game.

Tracy P. said...

So, so fun! We have that same hillbilly golf game. Figures! :-) I love that picture you got of Ben--him to a T!

We would have no problem chatting an entire "girls' weekend" away, would we?

Tracy P. said...

Oh, and tell Buster thanks for being a good sport! :-)

Brenda said...

Sounds like a fun vacation. And made more fun by meeting a fellow blogger. I like the way you illustrated this with pictures.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Joy, Looks like alot of fun --even if it took you a lifetime to travel there... ha

Glad you got to meet Tracy... I know how much fun that is..
Hugs,
Betsy

The Farmer Files said...

Ladderball looks so much less physical than shuffleboard. I have never heard of it. I am so excited about the idea of putting my kids in another booth one day and having an entire dinner conversation with my husband!

Brenda said...

I didn't know Ladder ball was what it was call, but when I saw the pic I recognized it. Someone brought that to our 4th of July campout. It was a blast to play.
Love the 'hostage' picture of your daughter!
How fun to meet your blogging friend IRL. Glad you hit it off well.

Susan said...

Love the "hostage" picture !!! Looks like a wonderful trip and I'm so glad you got to meet a blog friend. It is always special. Amazing that you met in Florida..now that had to be a God thing!!!
Susan

Unknown said...

Looks like you all had a fun trip! My husband was not a big fan of road trips - why is it that men don't get that women of a certain age have bladders of a certain age, too?

Louise | Italy said...

A different table at the restaurant - now that is a good tip. Perhaps I could modify a bit and make that a different RESTAURANT...

Tricia said...

Looks like you had a great trip. My kids want to get that game. great pictures.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

That's a long drive for Christmas vacation but SO worth it!!

So cool you & Tracy were in Florida at the same time. GLad you two were able to hook up!

Memories!!

Mrs.Oz said...

It was so fun to read your post. She does look like a hostage!:)
I just think it's so fun that you got to meet your blog friend. I think Christian blogs are wonderful for this and bringing women together who would have never met. It's such a blessing from God to be able to do that.

Unknown said...

OKAY, give me a minute to wrap my brain around seeing you and your lovelies in MY PARK!! Oh how many times my son and I have played on that ring thingy and have used those restrooms inthe shelter so many times. The photos seemed surreal! Did you notice the asphalt track around the perimeter of the park? That is where I walk most days!
I'm so happy you gals got to meet! Minnesota and Texas are SO FAR AWAY from each other!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Hey joy, That looks like a fabulous trip with lots of happy memories!

The first pic of your "hostage" is hysterical :-)

Glad you had a great time.

Cheers,
jj

Apron Senorita said...

First of all, Happy Belated Birthday. I like the picture of your daughter in the back seat because that is exactly how my daugher Gina is. She has the entire back see to herself and she makes a hotel bed out it. It is such a great blessing to be with family for the holidays. God Bless you Joy with a wonderful new year! Yoli :)

Givinya De Elba said...

What an awesome vacation! I loved hearing about how you met up with Tracy, particularly. Two great bloggy friends kickin back in Florida. Maybe I'll join you next time?

Tara said...

Howdy Joy! Another fellow Texan here. So glad to meet ya. Hope you don't mind me following along with your cute blog.
Hugs,
Tara

Floss said...

Hello - good to meet you! What a long journey! It's hard to imagine that when you come from a small island, even though we have moved now...

Tiffany said...

I'm still totally bummed that I missed out on meeting up with you guys - especially since I'm the one that actually LIVES in Florida!

Glad you had a great time and we will definitely get together the next time you are here!