Monday, April 13, 2009

Crawfish Anyone?

Saturday night we had a neighborhood crawfish boil. Neighbor Steve boiled the crawfish in a huge pot. (I didn't get a picture...sorry) After boiling the crawfish they are transferred into large coolers to sit and absorb all the spices. Neighbor Steve learned the fine art of crawfish preparation while living in Louisiana. Yes, the main spice you see is cayenne pepper. Like they say...Some like it hot!


After the crawfish have a sufficient amount of soaking time the liquid is drained off and then they are spread out on tables. There was about 100 pounds of crawfish consumed that night.
No, I don't eat crawfish, but I do like the corn on the cob and potatoes that are cooked along with them. The corn and potatoes hadn't made it to the table yet.


There was an egg hunt for the kids. A couple of hunters are shown below.



We have great neighbors and lots of good cooks in the bunch. The weather was perfect and a good time was had by all. Well, except for the boy who had to go to the emergency room after accidentally getting hit in the face by a hockey stick. Eight stitches later....he'll be fine.

12 comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

Wow...the crawfish pictures were intriguing..I have never seen anything like that before.
sandy toe

Alice said...

Oh Joy.. how I wish I could have been there to enjoy the Crawfish feast. It looks amazing. Just curious.. those containers you put the crawfish in.. when you clean them out don't they smell.. spicy? And are they containers people have just for doing crawfish?

Susan said...

Our younger daughter who lived in Louisanna and Mississippi loves crawfish. Not me!!!!
Susan

Betty said...

Ok, no thanks, none for me... :)
I´ll stick to the salads, like you. Looks like a fun time and good weather! Glad you had a good time!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Oh I am jealous!!! I LOVE crawfish!! I have actually been wanting to have a crawfish boil.YUM!

Berni said...

My goodness that is a lot of crawfish. I think they are like tiny lobsters.

Julie said...

what a fun neighborhood activity... that is awesome!

Tracy P. said...

That's amazing! I'd be with the picture taking crew.

We have great neighbors like that too--and one year Ben was the one who ended up with the broken arm after a little run-in on his bike at a neighborhood gathering. Thank God for bodies that heal!

Laura said...

How much fun. My oldest daughter lives in Spring, and she went to a crawfish boil Easter weekend as well.

Your blog is lovely,

Laura
whitespraypaint.blogspot.com

C. JoyBell C. said...

Crawfish and egg hunts.... sounds like your everyday backyard get-together picnic...NOT!!!

Hee hee hee....

Sounds real yummy!!!!!

:)

Unknown said...

Neato! Looked so delish. It's great you live in such a close knit community. When we go to our beach house on Hunting Island, S.C., family members come over and prepare "Frogmore Stew" which is served all spilled out on newspaper for easy fetchin'!!Great CASUAL dining. About as casual as you can get, eating in our swimsuits and all

Anonymous said...

I like your Joyintheburbs. I see you all love crawfish, well we have designed a crawfish table that fits over a barrel no mess no fuss. It has four areas for food, beer and sauce and 2 paper towel holders. If you are interested please let me know. Enjoy the great neighborhood,

thermo2@wt.net