This appeared in the Houston Chronicle today. It was entitled Fumbling in the Dark, We've Learned. I picked a few funny ones that apply to women and renamed it What Gulf Coast Women Learn from Ike.
* Manicures are a sign of civilization
* Coffee is possible without Starbucks
* That neighbor who knows how to use a chainsaw
is your new best friend.
* Hair can dry without a blowdryer, but it may not
look the way you planned.
* What looks acceptable by candlelight in your bathroom
will scare you when you look at yourself in the mirror at the
* Baseball caps go with any post-hurricane ensemble.
* You can't train yourself not to flip on light switches
when entering a room.
* You have neighbors.
* Garage doors aren't magic.
* The storm treasures your kids are finding
really belong to your neighbors.
* It's easier to ignore a dirty floor when you can't see it.